Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:18:58 -0700
From:      Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
To:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.5-RELEASE oddities (read:flamebait)

Ok, what is the deal with 4.5 release?

I have been using FreeBSD since 1.0 and have installed every release
branch for a total of hundreds of times.  The other day I downloaded the
ISO for 4.5 and installed it on an HP Vectra.

I got it going in a matter of hours.  After using it for a day or two I
attempted to use the whereis command and got an Perl syntax error in
/usr/bin/whereis.  I fixed that and then noticed that makewhatis was
crashing with a similar perl error during cron.

So I thought...hmmm, maybe my ISO was corrupted or the snapshot it was
made from wasn't quite right.  So I CVSUPed the sources and started to
perform a 'make buildworld'... thinking that the net might have a more
correct distribution.

This failed all over the place... mainly because somewhere in the source
tree the ../lib/libncurses build had an f-ing typo (../includeosys/..
should have been ../include/sys/..).  Mind you, this was from a fresh
download of the source tree! After correcting that problem, the make
crashed again in another spot... then a third time.

Finally, I went back to the servers and installed 4.3-RELEASE ... and it
works perfectly.

I have never moaned about FreeBSD before... I have never been happier
with an operating system.  However... I am just wondering if it is just
me, or have things gotten just a little sloppy?

Peace,
Blake