Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 12:00:35 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Barry A. Boes" <bab@foxtrot.boesusa.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: STB tuner problems

Hi,

> Basically, I receive 6 channels via airwaves.  Of those channels,
>the STB card works great with 7,24,36,42.  But with channels 18 and
>54 (which come in a little fuzzy on my TV but have never caused problems
>for any of my TV's or sensitive VCR's) the card tunes to the frequency
>great but then appears to "lose tuning" over the course of about 0.5-1
>second.
>   Does anyone know whether this is common to all tuner cards, the STB card,
> or just my particular card?

I had an STB card (Temic tuner) that worked great for VHF, but had your
symptoms for UHF channels.  Nothing I tried (including an external signal amp)
would help.  I finally replaced it with an Hauppauge wincast and all my
problems went away.  BUT many people are happily using the STB/temic cards.
As I've previously stated, I think it's a quality control issue.  There
is not a large enough base of data to fairly say "this brand is better
than that", but the STB does seem to get more complaints on this list.
This is one of the few items I recommend buying from a local store if
possible.  Best Buy sells the STB, and CompUSA sells the Hauppauge, both at
reasonably competitive prices.  If they don't work its easy to return them.
Treat the box contents gently, don't even bother to open the envelopes.
The card is PnP, just stick it in the machine, add the driver & test.
If it ain't right return it.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by