Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 06:32:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Chris <kingsqueak@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP forwarding in SSH2 - testing?

Chris wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:31:21PM -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> >
> > Hey all...
> >
> > I've recently begun implementing SSHv2 as a VPN solution with a few remote
> > users (employees). I've installed ssh2 from ports under FreeBSD 3.4, and
> > verified that logins (with password authentication) work fine from a
> > variety of hosts.  (Previously, I ran ssh 1.27).
> >
> > Now, I have attempted to set up port forwarding from remote hosts.  I
> > think I may have set it up correctly, but I have no adequate way to verify
> > that packets are actually being transmitted encrypted.  In fact, from what
> > I can tell, forwarded ports are being sent in the clear.
> >

> If you take a hub, plug the target host into it, plug another machine
> into the hub as well, place the second machine's nic in promisc and
> sniff...I think you'll find all is well.

Ok... That sounds like good news.  The problem is, though, that one
network relies on switch technology (every system on its own collision
domain), and the other "network" isn't a network at all, but a single
system connected to a cable modem.  I suppose I'll have to move some
cables around temporarily to test.  I simply wanted to avoid that if
possible.  (At least these aren't production machines, though ;-)

Thanks,

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2