Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 2020 03:09:38 +0000
From:      Pau Amma <pauamma@gundo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFD: proposed new (likely virtual) category, education

This category would comprise ports that are mainly educational in nature
or purpose, such as:
- course-writing or course-delivery applications,
- classroom or school management applications (eg, scheduling classes),
- applications, utilities, or games primarily or substantially designed
to help the user learn a specific topic or study in general, like typing
tutors, flashcard applications, or educational games.

This category would be useful because some of these applications are in
non-obvious categories, making them hard to find if you don't already
know about them. For instance, if I had not already known about anki or
mnemosyne, I don't think it would have occurred to me to look for them
under games.

Based on a search of the port tree for the strings "educat" and "learn"
and weeding out obvious false positives, the following 72 ports appear
to belong in that category:

astro/marble
astro/nightfall
biology/figtree
biology/py-scikit-bio
cad/basicdsp
cad/feappv
cad/logisim
comms/gtkmmorse
deskutils/docear
deskutils/fet
devel/elfkickers
devel/raylib
devel/thonny
emulators/edumips64
games/anki
games/colobot
games/crashtest
games/crrcsim
games/gcompris-qt
games/kanagram
games/katomic
games/nimuh
games/py-mnemosyne
games/robocode
games/robocode-naval
games/tuxmath
games/tuxtype
graphics/geomview
graphics/libreatlas
japanese/kiten
japanese/slimeforest
lang/kturtle
math/R-cran-LearnBayes
math/analitza
math/geogebra
math/geonext
math/kalgebra
math/kbruch
math/kig
math/kmplot
math/octave-forge-ltfat
math/rocs
math/timbl
math/ump
misc/artikulate
misc/kdeedu
misc/kgeography
misc/klettres
misc/ktouch
misc/kwordquiz
misc/lingoteach
misc/parley
misc/pauker
misc/py-orange3-educational
multimedia/projectx
net/ns3
print/jabref
science/fisicalab
science/kalzium
science/libccp4
science/py-qspin
science/step
sysutils/hourglass
textproc/popup
textproc/py-nltk
www/efront
www/ilias
www/ilias6
www/moodle35
www/moodle37
www/moodle38
www/moodle39

Observant readers will notice that there are 10 misc/* ports in that
category. I do not, however, know whether that is enough to justify
making it a physical category with all the additional work involved.

Things that would need to be changed if that proposal is accepted:
- The Makefiles for all these ports
- The section on port categories of the Porter's Handbook
- Possibly other things I'm missing

All comments or constructive criticism gratefully accepted.