Date:      Mon, 20 May 96 13:53:49 EST
From:      "Salyzyn" <salyzyn@inet.dpt.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Who wants a DPT SCSI controller driver?

Author:  asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) at inet
Date:    1996/5/19 7:31 AM

Yes, I would be very interested.  (In case you don't know, I'm the
person who ported ccd from NetBSD... :)

        Well, for the list, I will release the BSDi driver. It has
        some superfluous fluff associated with Bus Reset that should
        be removed (The SCSI system is handed back individual error
        driver to resend the requests). The BSDi driver started out
        under FreeBSD, but just before completion it was transfered
        over and ported to the BSDi system and TTD (Tested To Death
        :-). The SCSI system is different, so it has diverged
        somewhat.

        We have one volunteer that is willing to port the code over,
        he conveniently already has some of our controllers to work
        with. Anyone interested in writing a NetBSD port would be
        appreciated.

        I will be responsible for dealing with any issues associated
        with the driver from DPT's standpoint, and would like anyone
        working on this driver to keep me up to date. I will no doubt
        be responsible for support ...

By the way, does DPT allow us to stripe across controllers?  (I tried
looking at www.dpt.com, but could get to none of the pages....)

        When we Stripe across controllers, it is done from within the
        driver. It would be far better for the SCSI system writers to
        place striping across controllers within that layer (as is
        done under Linux).

Satoshi

        I am not on any of the freebsd mailing lists, it is unfortunate
        that I am burdened with cc:Mail here and have no hope of
        keeping up with the list. However, I am very willing to answer
        any questions associated with the porting efforts for the BSDi
        driver!

Sincerely Yours -- Mark Salyzyn
                Senior Software Engineer
                Distributed Processing Technology.