Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 12:04:20 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd?

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> types:
> > Mike Meyer wrote:
> > > What scares me is the possibilitity of near-exponential growth of the
> > > thing. I've put up a plot of hits/hour since it started - at about 9am
> > > CDT - to now at <URL: http://www.mired.org/codered.ps >. Discount the
> > > last data point - it only includes about 15 minutes of hits. The large
> > > jump around 9am 8/4 got me, but it seems to have peaked at 45/hour,
> > > and fallen back to ~15/hour. I can understand the levelling out as the
> > > population of suspect servers approaches saturation, but why is did it
> > > drop off? Or is the spike just random noise?
> > Your hit rate is much greater than mine. My complete list of error log
> > messages are on http://dsl1-160.dynacom.net/code_red.html. The complete
> > list is only 4 screens of text.
>
> That's strange. More commentary on this later.
>
> > I am also seeing a mutation. The first error log message was the typical
> > one but yesterday, the second one also started showing up.
>
> There are at least two versions of this worm running around. One
> defaces the web pages, one doesn't. There are also differences in the
> random number generators used, the earlier ones using the same PRNG
> and seed, meaning they'll probe the same list of IP addresses.
>
> > [Sun Aug 5 08:31:26 2001] [error] [client 212.205.80.11] \
> > Client sent malformed Host header
> > [Sun Aug 5 08:41:47 2001] [error] [client 24.2.244.206] \
> > File does not exist: /usr/local/www/data/default.ida
>
> I hadn't been counting the first one - it's not mentioned in any of
> the writeups I saw. I've also got some during the period when code red
> is supposedly quiescent. While those are likely to be infected hosts
> with misset clocks, I'm going to leave it as is because 1) I'm more
> interested in trends than in total numbers, and 2) the totals seem to
> be at most 4/hour, meaning they are for the most part lost in the
> noise.
>
> One possible explanation for the discrepancy we're seeing in counts is
> that you somehow overlooked the initial ones that didn't have a
> malformed host header. Another is that those without a malformed host
> header are the older worm, and I'm much lower on that fixed list of IP
> addresses than you are. That doesn't seem likely, as I didn't see any
> of those until August.

Hmmm, strange. I saw 21 malformed Host requests on 19 Jul and nothing else.
The list is all of the error messages since 1 August. Apache's access.log
also shows the malformed request that generated the error message.

The first error message on 19 July was from Taiwan site. The first message
on 1 August was from a Chinese site.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart