Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 1999 18:28:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   troubles with X

Hi all,

I just rebooted my -current box for the first time in a long
time.  Everything on this box is freshly compiled (including
X) as of only a couple of hours ago.  I even mergemaster'd
for good measure.

For some reason now I can't startx(1) as either myself or root.
I type startx and the PAM auth routines loop forever printing
out 'Password:'.  I comment out the last two lines in /etc/pam.conf
and I get an authentication failure (as I should).

Anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?  What is the correct
method to start X on -current nowadays?

Thanks.

-steve

PS: I'd search the mailing lists but I can't get to my browser
    and I'm not so good with lynx. :)