Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:39:30 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging...

On 28 Apr 1998, Chris Shenton wrote:

> I've got a /240 subnet from my ISP. I'd really prefer not to subnet
> this into two /248s and lose two more addresses in the process.  I'd
> also like to avoid dealing with gated If I can.
>
> Is there some simple bridging SW? I didn't find anything in the
> ports. If there is, what kind of HW do I need to support bridging at
> this speed? I don't need packet filtering and other firewall functions
> here, but if something like Drawbridge is the easiest thing to make
> work, I can do that. As long as it also will let me talk out the PPP
> interface to the world.

I can see two approaches which might be possible with 2.2.6 as shipped on
CD:

1.  Use NATD on the system you use to connect to your ISP, and use this
system as a router between two subnets (say 10.1.1 and 10.1.2, both /0)
with static routes.  One disadvantage of this would be that only the
router would be visible from the internet.

2.  proxy arp requests on the "bridge", with host routes specified for all
machines attached to the hubs.  This is normally impractical with more
than a couple of machines, but your situation may be manageable.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia