Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 21:24:05 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        tienhuat lee <tienhuat_lee@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: diskette duplication--exactly

tienhuat lee writes:
> Dear Sir/Madam:
>
> How to duplicate "exactly" a diskette, including everything --
> partition tables, bad sectors, file system, file, time stamp, ... BIT
> BY BIT?

Sounds like tienhuat lee desires to copy copy-protected floppies.

If you want to copy a floppy exactly bit by bit then you are looking at
the wrong OS for the job. Should probably be in DOS where a disc
duplication program can have total access to the floppy drive
controller hardware.

If you wish to duplicate "normal" floppies, where normal would be
defined as the same number of sectors per track and tracks per disc as
a typical (normal) MS-DOS 1.44 MB floppy then FreeBSD does a great job.

If the floppy is an 800k MacOS formatted, then you are out of luck.
I've tried it with oddball floppies out of and HP test instrument with
128 byte sectors and failed, too. But later found a utility from HP
that worked under DOS on same PC hardware.

Others have suggested reading the floppy with dd, and writing it again
with dd. In between you need to format the floppy. And maybe you have
only one floppy drive of that type.

Use dd to read the original floppy as Alan Clegg suggests:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/home/me/floppy.img bs=18k

But rather than use dd to write, use fdwrite(1):
fdwrite -f /home/me/floppy.img -d /dev/fd0

The big advantage is fdwrite will format the floppy on the fly. Heads
will make half as many passes over the media when compared to an
fdformat(1) followed by dd.

The above works just as well for Macintosh 1.44 MB floppies. Needs some
adjusting to the floppy device if the media is 720k.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net