Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:08:02 +0100
From:      Mark Huizer <freebsd@dohd.cx>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default gateway outside range but on LAN... howto?

> It may be on the same layer 2 lan, but it's not on the same layer 3
> subnet.  Something is really fubar here.  The router *has* to be in
> the same subnet.  IP just plain won't work otherwise.  You need to
> either:
I know it sucks. But a. the provider sets it up this way and it's not
their first network delivered. b. Linux and various other pieces of
hardware have no trouble configuring it this way.

What kind of argument do you think you are making if you say "I know it
works for your other customers, but it's wrong, and FreeBSD doesn't like
it so fix it..."

> A. change your subnet to 10.0.0.0/28, which includes the router;
that implies having to do weird stuff so the IP's that are not in our
range can still be reached (using the router)

> or
>
> B.  change the router's address so it's in your subnet?
That was a possible solution, yes, take some IP address in our range,
add an ARP entry for that IP in each hosts arp table, and route to that
IP. Somehow I don't like having to set arp addresses on each host :-(

> If they've for some reason intentionally set up multiple subnets on a
> single lan, which is perfectly permissible, then they need to configure
> more than one IP address on that interface on the router, one for each
> subnet.
well, that seems to be the weird thing, it probably isn't one lan, but
each segment is a seperate wire. Just this router is not in each lan.

> If the network administrator is really not allowing any of these then
> he/she is highly incompetent for the job.  Which probably wouldn't
> be a first...
hmm... I wasn't gonna say those things :-) Or type... but in the privacy
of my brains... hmm... etc :-)

> Even if you were to try to kludge the routing by grabbing an ip address
> in 10.0.0.0/29, which the router will talk to, and setting up a router
> there for your subnet, you'd still have to convince it to send all
> 10.0.0.9/29 traffic _to_ your router.
As mentioned before:
add -s $FAKEIP $HISMAC
route add default $FAKEIP
should work (but I haven't tested it actually, will do in a few minutes)

>   If you know (or can guess) what
> routing protocol it listens to you can send announcements in that
> protocol and see if it will pick them up, which it might not depending
> on how it's configured, but I'm guessing this is far more complications
> than you what you're looking for in an answer.
yep :-)
Thanks anyway

Mark
--