Date:      05 Nov 1999 19:31:20 -0500
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Celeron + FreeBSD?

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:

> Under 40 minutes is very hard on a current intel architecture box; the
> 4-way Xeon 400/256 that we have here will do about 39 even on -current
> as of a couple of weeks ago, with everything except $DESTDIR on an MFS.
>
> To go much faster will require more memory bandwidth, or possibly
> faster CPUs with more cache (not so sure about that part).

Fri Oct 29 00:50:45 EDT 1999
make -f Makefile.parallel -j 20 JPAR=2 -DCLOBBER -DNOPROFILE buildworld
make buildworld complete
Fri Oct 29 01:30:27 EDT 1999

     2384.21 real      2809.03 user      1337.21 sys

elapsed 0:39:42  busy 86.95%

Ok, so I cheated with -DNOPROFILE and I have a somewhat modified
bsd.subdir.mk that parallelizes some subdir builds in the "building
everything" phase of the make.  This is with a dual 466 Celeron, 128M
66Mhz FSB, no overclocking, Abit BP6.  I'm using -pipe in
/etc/make.conf and /usr/src, /usr/obj and /tmp are all on a striped
vinum volume that resides on 2 IBM 9G 7200RPM SCSI drives with
softupdates.

I like the price compared to the 4 way Xeon!
--
Kevin Street
street@iname.com