Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:20:16 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improvements to src/tools/tools/recoverdisk

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> Dear Poul-Henning, current@,
>
> I made two, what I call, improvements to recoverdisk. It only tries to
> read in multiples of 512 bytes OR the sectorsize. This sucks for CD/DVD
> with 2352 bytes sectorsize. My patch takes the native sectorsize into
> account, when dimensioning BIG and MEDIUMSIZE.
>
> Second feature is the saving and loading of the worklist. Again, not
> very helpful for reading hard disks, but very useful for CDs. This way,
> you can first try a scratched CD in drive A, then drive B and drive C.
> You don't have to start all over again, but instead can profit from the
> different error recovery mechanisms.
>
> Previously, I did this with dd(1) and paper and pencil. Not funny.
>
> Please try the attached patch, thanks!

FYI I have a C program from 1987 to rescue data off floppies, down
to literally the last bit.  Compiles on DOS & BSD, runs properly
only on DOS, as DOS returns the buffer even on CRC error. Unix doesn't.
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/valid/
A recovery tool I wrote for a BSD4.2 with flakey tape drive:
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/slice/
To test media &/or drivers there's
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/testblock/
--
Julian Stacey.  Consultant Unix Net & Sys. Eng., Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, HTML=spam.     Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.