Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 11:18:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kevin Bogac <kbogac@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd question

On Wed, 5 May 1999, Kevin Bogac wrote:

> I cannot get natd to work. I have searched through all of the
> information I can find and my configuration seems correct. If I enable
> natd the interface blocks traffic. I'm getting a line in the system
> messages that says "/kernel: IP packet filtering initialized, divert
> disabled, rule-based forwarding disabled, logging disabled". I built
> the kernel with the two additional options. Did I miss something? Does
> the default rc.firewall work?

You need to build a kernel with these options:

options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
                                        # dropped packets
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD      #enable transparent proxy support
options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets

The ipfw KLD doesn't ship with divert turned on, which you need to make
natd work.

Doug White