Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 19:24:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        paule@CHT.de (Gerd M. Pauli)
Cc:        fgray@rice.edu, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with the 3Com Etherlink XL (PCI) under 2.1.6

Gerd M. Pauli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When using the Etherlink XL Card under FreeBSD 2.1.6, the card
> seems to be in "Promiscuous mode". It seems, that
> the function "vxsetfilter" in the file  /sys/dev/vx/if_vx.c has no effect !
> After reconfiguring the Card with the DOS Utility from 3Com and manually
> setting the "Network Driver Optimisation" to "Minimal CPU Performance"
> or "Normal" ,saving the Setup ,and booting FreeBSD the Card works normally.
> ( Changing of "Promiscuous mode" with vxsetfilter is ok )
> But after booting FreeBSD after a power cycle the same Problem is detected.
>
> Has anyone an idea how to fix the Problem ?
> Does anyone has a Documentation describing the Registers of the Chip ?

Yep I do. Let me see how I can help you.
First, could you send me how the device is detected at boot time? That
can be found either with the dmesg command or in your log files.
Further, I'd like to know how you detect that it is in promiscuous mode.

I am thinking of some hardware problem in your system. It is explicitly
mentioned in the docs (page 4-46) for RxFilter that it is cleared
(i.e. set to receiveIndividual (which is normal operation)) upon
reset.
Apparently the hard reset stuff does something weird to the card.

-Guido