Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:07:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@helium.clari.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL services to apartments

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> I'm thinking of providing Internet access to an apartment block via a DSL
> line.  DSL is new to Melbourne and I have not actually used one myself,
> yet, so please bear with me.  I get the impression that the best way to do
> this is:
>
> Internet
> DSLRouter-----[SWITCH]
>               | | | |
>               A B C D...etc

> I'd like to use a FreeBSD box in place of SWITCH, but there is an
> issue of port density.

	That is an issue.  Use a switch instead.

> If the above scenario is appropriate then I can use either a dumb
> switch or a programmable switch.  The dumb switch would allow people
> to see PCs in other apartments.  The programmable switch could prevent
> that.

	You have to provide VLAN's to these people...no question about
	it.  Most people want their privacy.

> Can anyone let me know (a) is it worth putting in the programmable
> switch, or should I just tell people to secure their own PCs; (b) what
> are people's recommendations for a low cost per port programmable
> switch?

	You want a some switch that can do VLANs.

> Also, is there a completely different approach that I should consider?
> I'm open to any suggestions, provided the cost to the end user is
> realistic.

	Here is another approach you may find interesting.

	ISP

	BSD---VLAN capable switch

		|- DSL Switch
			|--------(Copper pair)---Apt #1 (VLAN #1)
			|--------(Copper pair)---Apt #2 (VLAN #2)
			|--------(Copper pair)---Apt #3 (VLAN #3)
			|--------(Copper pair)---Apt #4 (VLAN #4)

	Couple of notes.  In this setup the DSL lines to the apartments
	are seen as an ETHERNET bridge between the VLAN switch and the
	node at the apartment.

	You have a couple of options that are low cost to do this type of
	setup.  Look at PairGain (www.pairgain.com) SDSL product
	(the 768K megabit modem).  This allows you to not have to fork
	over the
	cost of a DSLAM.  Basically it is a pair of DSL boxes, one at the
	DSL switch location and one at the apartment location.  Each
	Apartment uses up 1 port on your VLAN switch:

	VLAN switch
	|============|
	VLAN #1 port 1 ---Pairgain---Copper pair ---APT #1 Pairgain
	VLAN #2 port 2 ---Pairgain---Copper pair ---APT #1 Pairgain
	.
	.
	.
	VLAN n port n

	The BSD machine would provide the following features:

	- natd to allow for private IP space in the apartments and
	firewall capability, both from the internet and between
	apartments (between VLAN's).  You could even route an apartment a
	small public subnet without effecting service of other apartments
	(at an additional cost).  If someone doesn't need to have a public
	IP then you're not burning valueable IP space from the ISP.
	-DUMMYNET could be used to rate limit bandwidth (charging more for
	additional bandwidth)
	-You could also use SQUID to do HTTP proxy caching.
	-Intrusion detection further protecting your apartments.
	- Special request (at an additional charge) for other services,
	VPN's,etc.

	The best part about this setup is it has a low cost of entry and
	if someone wants to stop service with you, you can re-use their
	equipment for another apartment.  You would be safe to charge
	40-50 US dollars a month for this type of service, and you would
	be making money (depending on demand) after the equipment is paid
	for.  It doesn't require much more than that.

	Furthermore, I know this setup works because I have done it
	before.	Contrary to popular belief, you can strech these things
	about 16-18000 feet.  This is SDSL service not ADSL.  these
	connections are symmetrical and you get about 3/4 of a T1 worth of
	bandwidth running full bore both upstream and downstream.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
 "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"