Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 02:40:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pb with COMPAT_LINUX_THREADS

> At Mon, 21 Dec 1998 01:13:24 -0800, you wrote
> >
> >> The ifdef'd version is to let people look at it and think about it..
> >> possibly  as has been suggested, the malloc'd space might only be used if
> >> there is a sharing of signals. Otherwise it might remain in the U area.
> >
> >That's certainly one way of doing it.  You could implement structure
> >compression by COW off the parent's copy of the struct instead, that'd
> >be even more efficient.
>
> I have been wondering about this... Multithreading is usually used to improve
> performance. Wouldn't this "on-demand" allocation of shared signals impact of
> performance?

You typically thread for the concurrency win, and wear the startup cost
as an overhead that you have to pay back with concurrency.  Given that
at the moment we're looking at a heavyweight thread implementation,
this extra allocation is relatively trivial in the scheme of things.

My real feeling at the moment is that we need to lurch forward and
uncover the problems that these changes are bound to introduce, rather
than sticking a few toes in it and letting the code and developers
moulder.  Just MHO of course.