Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 11:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        cmayes@frognet.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems viewing logical drives in an extended partition

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Chris wrote:

> In any case, my problem is that when I bring up FreeBSD fdisk, it does
> not see the logical drives within my extended partition.  I suppose my
> first question would be whether FreeBSD can boot from a logical
> partition or not.  From the documentation, it sounds like it can.
> That's a good thing.

DOS Extended partitions are mapped to extra slice numbers beyond 4.  For
the first logical disk, it's da0s5, da0s6, etc.

> I want to install FreeBSD on hda5 (I tried Stampede Linux, but was
> nonplussed).

FreeBSD requires it's own slice.  You may not install it on any other
slice type.

> While I'm here, I thought I'd find out about boot procedures.  Does the
> boot manager for FreeBSD operate in a similar fashion to LILO?  Can I
> have FreeBSD write to the partition's primary sector(?) rather than the
> MBR to allow another boot manager to call it?  The reason I ask is that
> I am currently using Bootman from BeOS and am quite happy with it.
> Unfortunately, I doubt that Bootman would officially support booting to
> FreeBSD.  Anyway, if I tell bootman to treat the FreeBSD partition as a
> Linux partition, will it behave properly?

It should work, since FreeBSD uses the standard PC booting conventions.
It worked with the OS/2/PartitionMagic boot manager and it didn't
recognize the filesystem type.

Doug White