Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:48:38 -0700
From:      chip.wiegand@simrad.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg_add upgrade kit fails to install

I was about to install from the ports reportmagic and analog when I got an
error:

reportmagic-2.10 : Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk. You need a
fresh make world or an upgrade kit.

So I ran cvsup and updated my ports - but still got the same error. I then visited the
fbsd web site and discovered I probably need the 4.2 to 4-STABLE upgrade kit.
I downloaded it to /usr/ports/distfiles and ran pkg_add and got this message:

simrad_4# pkg_add 42upgrade.tgz
./+INSTALL: cannot create /var/db/port.mkversion: directory nonexistent
pkg_add: install script returned error status

I am using FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 20 13:02:55 GMT 2000.

Do I need to do a make world? I've not done that before, and this is a production
box, so I'm a bit unsure about doing that.

Any suggestions?

--
Chip Wiegand
Computer Services

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
 --Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,
1977
          (-- Then why do I have nine? Somebody help me!)