Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2018 12:51:20 -1000
From:      David Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
To:        gnn@neville-neil.com
Cc:        jordancaraballo87@gmail.com, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of Vector Packet Processing (VPP) portability into FreeBSD

There is some curiosity in this at Netgate (my employer), but I have
it as a free-time project, and there has not been a lot of this.

The good news is that FreeBSD is a supported DPDK target, and I have
seen compatibility patches being accepted. So that's a promising
start.

I have gotten parts of VPP to compile by hand on FreeBSD, so I think
that's a good sign, but the overall build system is, uh, i'll call it
cisco-ish and leave it at that. I think what we'll need to do is just
slog our way through the Makefiles and CMakeLists.txt one-by-one and
then start debugging the result.

I'm not sure how willing the upstream is to support FreeBSD is either,
so, as George said, a port will be tedious to create, but also onerous
to maintain. Not saying we shouldn't, but hoping some masochists come
forward to help :-)

dave c