Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:05:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marcelo <bsdq@stgo.cl>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, Stephen <sdk@yuck.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Partitioning disks (was: no subject)
References:  <20000202155352.A11038@visi.com> <4.2.2.20000202142914.06520bd0@mail.threespace.com> <Pine.BSF.4.21.0002021218320.289-100000@pogo.caustic.org> <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000202134722.1214A-100000@stgo.cl> <20000202095655.B26831@fw.wintelcom.net> <008701bf6dac$97b83ea0$020a0a0a@megared.net.mx> <4.2.2.20000202142914.06520bd0@mail.threespace.com> <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000202134722.1214A-100000@stgo.cl> <20000202095655.B26831@fw.wintelcom.net> <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000202134722.1214A-100000@stgo.cl>

On Wednesday,  2 February 2000 at 14:36:09 -0500, Technical Information wrote:
> This is all very understandable from the SysAdmin's point of view.

Well, I don't know what you're talking about, since you don't quote
what you're referring to.

> But are there any comparable advantages for Joe Unix who is using
> his machine solo or with a few moderate users?

I don't know what you're comparing to.  But I'd think the advantages
and disadvantages are the same for one or more users.

> And can't quotas be used to stop any rampant growth in particular
> areas?

Yes.

> I'm not doing backups or anything like that on my personal system,

You should be.  You're going to lose something one day.

> and I never can predict which areas (e.g., var or tmp or usr) are
> going to grow the fastest.

This is my biggest objection to overly rampant partitioning.

> So I've also typically just installed everything into one large root
> [/] directory.  For somebody without any experience or even a good
> idea of how a system may be used, directory subpartitioning seems
> like a hit-or-miss proposition at best.

Agreed.  I think 99% of all people would fit into that category.  I
had a long argument^Wdiscussion with a release engineer at a large
company recently.  He wanted /var on a separate partition and that he
could accurately estimate the size.  I said that he would run into
trouble.  He did.

> Heck, I wouldn't even know how much room to allocate to the
> theoretically immutable root directory....

That's relatively easy.  Take 50 MB.

On Wednesday,  2 February 2000 at 12:26:40 -0800, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Technical Information wrote:
>> This is all very understandable from the SysAdmin's point of view.  But are
>> there any comparable advantages for Joe Unix who is using his machine solo
>> or with a few moderate users?  And can't quotas be used to stop any rampant
>> growth in particular areas?
>
> yes and no. quotas is for limiting users. it's a bit to much overhead for
> the system as a whole, in my opinion. if you have rampant growth in any
> area, it's likely caused not by the users, but rather by the logs.

You want to limit the log files whether or not they're in a separate
partition.

>> I'm not doing backups or anything like that on my personal system, and I
>> never can predict which areas (e.g., var or tmp or usr) are going to grow
>> the fastest.  So I've also typically just installed everything into one
>> large root [/] directory.  For somebody without any experience or even a
>> good idea of how a system may be used, directory subpartitioning seems like
>> a hit-or-miss proposition at best.
>>
>> Heck, I wouldn't even know how much room to allocate to the theoretically
>> immutable root directory....
>
> generally, you can just guess. a best guess is usually better than the
> worst choice.
>
> my own machines are usually set with 100mb to the root partition, 50mb to
> /var and the rest over to /usr.

I would guess that your root partition is more than half empty, and
the /var partition is pretty full.

> this limits the users ability to affect the machine, or to accidentally
> break it.

You can break things by filling up /var.  Mail will stop working, for
example, and some MUAs may end up trashing mailboxes if /var is full.

On Wednesday,  2 February 2000 at 15:53:52 -0600, Stephen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 02:36:09PM -0500, Technical Information wrote:
>> This is all very understandable from the SysAdmin's point of view.  But are
>> there any comparable advantages for Joe Unix who is using his machine solo
>> or with a few moderate users?  And can't quotas be used to stop any rampant
>> growth in particular areas?
>>
>> I'm not doing backups or anything like that on my personal system, and I
>> never can predict which areas (e.g., var or tmp or usr) are going to grow
>> the fastest.  So I've also typically just installed everything into one
>> large root [/] directory.  For somebody without any experience or even a
>> good idea of how a system may be used, directory subpartitioning seems like
>> a hit-or-miss proposition at best.
>>
>> Heck, I wouldn't even know how much room to allocate to the theoretically
>> immutable root directory....
>>

> I've never run into problems with this strategy:  Combine static partitions
> (/usr, /opt in solaris, ...) into root and give each dynamic partition
> (/var, /home, ...) its own.  My own workstation goes something like:
>
> /     1GB
> /var  100MB
> swap  100MB
> /home freehog

This is a very unusual way to do it.  You have /usr on the root file
system, right?

In summary, most people are saying:

1.  Keep / small and separate, because that way you have fewer
    problems if you crash.

2.  Keep /var on a separate partition, because that way you limit
    damage if your log files overflow.

Both of these approaches have their merits.  I think (1) is OK,
because it's relatively easy to calculate the size of the root file
system, especially if /tmp is on MFS or a symlink to /var/tmp.  (2) is
much more of a problem.  People in this thread have between 50 and 100
MB for /var; a single big mail message could overflow a 50 MB /var and
cause mail to seize up.  In fact, /var overflows are the biggest
single space problem I have seen administering a UNIX system, so
putting /var on its own smaller file system just makes matters worse.
In addition, these sizes are possibly not what you want.  I have:

  # du -xs / /var
  26      /
  1543    /var

Values are in MB.  I won't claim that there isn't junk in /var, but
most of it is needed.  The log files normally don't cause any
problems, but my /var/log hierarchy is 97 MB by itself.  The squid
cache is 50 MB.  /var/spool/ftp has 416 MB, including a complete
OpenBSD distribution.  I have 540 MB of backup listings in
/var/backup.  How do you decide in advance how much space you want?
I'm very much in favour of using quotas where necessary, especially if
they can be limited to a few directories, such as /var/log and
/var/tmp.

My rules of thumb are:

1.  Keep / small and separate, because that way you have fewer
    problems if you crash.

2.  Make /tmp (and maybe /var/tmp) an MFS.

3.  Make all other file systems small enough so you can back them up
    on one tape.

Greg