Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 05:00:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        alden@math.ohio-state.edu (Dave Alden)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridging hints?

> Hi,
>   I'm planning on using a FreeBSD box as our departmental firewall.  I
> just started playing around with it and have a box configured with 2 Intel
> EtherExpress 100+ cards, our LAN on one and a workstation (call 'wkstn')
> on the other.  I'm trying to learn ipfw, so I setup the FreeBSD box as a
> "client" firewall.  I then did:

i am not sure what you mean by "client" firewall -- i suppose that you
are setting the firewall on the machine acting as a bridge.

> ipfw add deny tcp from any to wkstn
>
> This works as expected.  But if I try to just turn of certain ports with:
>
> ipfw add deny tcp from any to wkstn 1-1024
>
> it doesn't work as I would expect (it allows me to telnet to the machine).

i have never tried this... have you tried, by chance, to block
single ports as opposed to a range and see if it makes a difference ?
If it does it could be a bug in ipfw.c, otherwhise it is in the way the
bridge code uses ipfw

	luigi