Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:01:15 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Claus Assmann <freebsd+stable@esmtp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Keyboard NCD N-123UX doesn't work with 4.x?

>On Mon, Sep 17, 2001, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
>
>Thanks for all the help provided and sorry for the late response.
>I tried several things but didn't get very far.  One thing we noticed
>is that the keyboard works fine if we plug it in after the machine
>booted. However, that isn't a good idea :-( I even hacked the kernel
>sources to disable the probe call but that didn't help. I'm not
>sure which of the start code causes the problem.
>
>> >My NCD keyboard N-123UX doesn't seem to work with FreeBSD 4.2 and
>> >FreeBSD 4.4-RC on two PCs and one laptop. It works fine with FreeBSD
>> >3.2 and OpenBSD 2.9-current (two machines are dual boot: one 3.2
>
>> options         KBDIO_DEBUG=2
>
>When I do this, the machine isn't able to boot. It either stops
>when it tries to mount / (flags 0) or a graphics characters is
>printed to the screen over and over (flags 1,2). So in the former
>case I wrote down the screen output:

Hmm, the KBDIO_DEBUG option isn't supposed to have effect on anything
other than debug output from the AT keyboard driver.  Likewise, these
flags shouldn't break the kernel.

Something might have been accidentally broken. We had better start
over from the fresh kernel source code.

>atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
>atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
>kbdc: new command byte:0054 (set_controller...)
>kbdc: TEST_AUX_PORT status:0000
>kbdc: RESET_AUX return code:00fa
>kbdc: RESET_AUX status:00aa
>kbdc: RESET_AUX ID:0000
>kbdc: new command byte:0065 (set_controller...)
>psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0

Looks like the keyboard is responding the way it is expected to...

Kazu