Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:24:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install

On Sat, Sep 20, 1997 at 03:46:28AM -0400, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:

>>> It shouldn't page fault.
>>
>> What do you people mean by page faulting?  Page faults are a normal
>> operation, and you can be sure that it will page fault several times
>> on startup.
>
> I mean, I do the kernel config, delete all the things I don't have, then
> it gives a message about a page fault,

Doug replied to me privately.  The "message about a page fault" said
"Panic:".  That's not OK, of course, but the "Page fault" there is
just *slightly* out of its normal context.

> a bunch of addresses, something
> about supervicor read failed...?
> Then it says system will reboot in 15 secs.
> I tried taking out everything I don't have, leaving everything in, and a
> couple random configs.  Same result..

This looks like a bug to me.  In fact, there's no question: anything
that causes the kernel to panic is a bug.

Are you saying that the system panics during boot?  Can you say
exactly where?  How much memory does your machine have?

Greg