Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 03:41:06 -0700
From:      "Robert Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, johnbsd@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: ports not finding distfiles on cd

The way I get it to work is put the cd in the drive and reboot the=20
machine.  Then run /stand/sysinstall (do not mount the cd) and set the =
media=20
to the cdrom.  Now exit sysinstall and cd to /usr/ports and try making
your favorite port.  It should now see the cdrom and make it correctly.
You could just get it from the net though.

If you find another way let me know.  My linux people laugh at me
when I have to do this.

>>> john holland <johnbsd@yahoo.com> 6/30/99 6:34:48 AM >>>
I've been trying to compile ports from the cdrom but even with the
CDROM mounted under /cdrom, the ports in /usr/ports don't find the
tarballs. If I copy them (the tarballs) to /usr/ports/distfiles then
they find them but seem to ask "file to patch?" which I don't know how
to answer. then the make install fails with error code 1.=20

what is the correct way to install ports from the cd?

thanks,\
john holland