Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:17:18 -0500
From:      J Bacher <jb@jbacher.com>
To:        Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ascend max dial-up prob

At 03:51 PM 7/29/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Ok this is remotely on-topic because my dial-in Max router authenticates
>users via a radius daemon running on a freebsd box...
>
>In this router are a PRI t1, a bank of modems, and a soon to be
>disconnected ds1 endpoint that I used to mux little ds0 lines in on.
>
>When I disable the ds1 endpoint (it will be disco'd in two days) the Max 1)
>takes 2-3x as long to auth a user, 2) does not assign the dns servers as
>specified in the radius database and 3) does not route any ip traffic for
>the dial-up user.
>
>It does assign them an ip address and successfully verify their username
>and password.
>
>Has anyone come across anything like this before?  The ds1 that I'm turning
>off does ont have an ip address assigned to its port and I've gone so far
>as to take it down, reboot the max, and then try to dial in just to make
>sure this isn't another of Ascend's mysterious moving interfaces bugs (like
>the one that used to break mrtg).

Check the following areas for a valid configuration:

Ethernet -> Static Route -> should be the ether interface of the next hop
[router]
Ethernet -> Mod Config -> Ether Options -> an IP on the same subnet as the
next [ethernet] hop
Ethernet -> Mod Config -> Ether Options -> ignore def rt=no
Ethernet -> Mod Config -> Ether Options -> proxy mode=active (if you're not
routing that subnet)
Ethernet -> Mod Config -> DNS -> specify your primary and secondary servers
here

It might help if you post your question with actual IP address usage to the
ascend-users group.