Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:20:57 +0200
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: volume management

Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org> writes:
> Is there any difference between "glvm" and gvirstor ?  I suppose there
> are at least a few, but what are them ?

gvirstor is a kind of "virtual memory" for disks - you pre-allocate
address space and worry later about where to find physical space to
back it.

glvm works the other way around - you have a certain amount of
physical space and manually allocate address space from it when you
need it.

glvm gives you flexibility without having to worry about over-
committing your physical space; on the other hand, gvirstor can spare
you the trouble of having to resize your file systems, but will be far
more susceptible to fragmentation.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no