Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:16:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I found a Linux-based utility for Phoenix BIOS "suspend to disk"

>Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:11:13 -0500
>From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>

>> but I'm wondering about the comments (and a bit of code I noted) that seems
>> to presume that the suspend-to-disk partition/slice must be the one
>> referenced by the 4th entry in the partition table.

>This does seem to be the case. phdisk.exe always sets it up this way,
>and if you use any other fdisk slice it doesn't seem to work.

Interesting.

>I've never managed to get manually created partitions to work with
>suspend to disk. I've always booted from floppy and used phdisk.exe to
>create it. Never had any other method work, but I havn't messed with
>the code you're talking about.

Well, it's not clear to me that booting FreeBSD (or Solaris x86, I
guess) from floppy (or CD) would allow me to use PHDISK.EXE, and those
are the only OSs I have handy.  (Well, I did get those Linux, OpenBSD, &
Net BSD CDs at the 1999 USENIX....)

>I have a 20Gb disk laid out;

>s1 windows
>s2 freebsd
>s4 suspend to disk
>s3 more freebsd

>The order on the disk doesn't matter, it's just the table entry.

Excellent!  So I should be able to just swap the contents of the 3rd &
4th partition table entries with (relative) impunity, then.  Thanks!

>> Or maybe it's OK for the suspend-to-disk "partition" to be at the
>> tail end of a 20 GB disk...?

>The suspend to disk partition must be under 8Gb.

I rather thought so.

Well, I see my -CURRENT build (on the laptop) just choked & died at
/usr/src/usr.sbin/rpc.yppasswdd again, so it's in a relatively quiescent
state....  :-}

Cheers,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.