Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:09:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Chandrabose ARAVINDAN <arvind@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
To:        Charlie ROOT <root@room101.sysc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount cdrom returns "input/output error"

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Charlie ROOT wrote:

> Ever since I upgraded to 2.2-STABLE, I am unable to mount any CD-ROM's
> that I have (I tested this by going back to the 2.2.2-RELEASE kernel and
> the CD-ROM worked great, unfortunately, I need 2.2-STABLE for some other
> fixes.)  I am sure the CD-ROM is working fine and the CD is OK.
>
> When I mount the CD, it says:
>
> # mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0a /cdrom
> cd9660: /dev/wcd0a: Input/output error
>
> The drive is on the second IDE channel as a SLAVE, without a master (this
> worked fine before with 2.2.2-RELEASE, has there been a change?).
>
> I also double checked my source configuration files as well:
>
> controller 	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
> disk 		wd2	at wdc1 drive 0
> disk		wd3	at wdc1 drive 1

Hello!  Since you do not have any hard disks attached to your second IDE
channel, I suggest to comment the last two lines out and compile the
kernel again.

> options 	ATAPI
> options 	ATAPI_STATIC
> device		wcd0

> The drive is detected on boot up too:
>
> /kernel: wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <FX801S/X01>, removable, intr, dma, iordis

I don't think the system has detected the CDROM.  Perhaps it misidentifies
the CDROM as a removable hard disk.  So, as I suggested above, comment
those two lines and compile the kernel again.

Hope this helps!
arvind <URL:http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~arvind/>;