Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:34:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Another 2.1.7 upgrade & no bin dist

I just finished another CDROM upgrade. I suppose it would be
2.1.7 -> 2.1.7 this time, except that the bin distribution still
could not be installed. The message at the end was the same as
last week:

   Couldn't extract the following distributions:
   bin catpages

and

   We couldn't even extract the bin distribution. This upgrade
   should be considered a failure and started from the beginning.

This time I used the boot.flp that was on the installation CD,
rather than using the one from ftp.freebsd.org, as I did last week.

The boot.flp image was placed on the floppy with:
   dd if=boot.flp of=/dev/rfd0

The actual steps I went through are listed at the end, but more
interesting are the DEBUG messages from VTY2. Below are the last
few lines from VTY2, the buffer only goes back so far. I copied
these by hand and believe they are accurate:

  DEBUG: Request for compat20/compat20.inf from CDROM
  DEBUG: Request for compat20/compat20.tgz from CDROM
  DEBUG: Notify: Extracting conpat20 into / directory...
  usr
  usr/lib
  usr/lib/compat
(several other files listed)
  81 blocks
  DEBUG: Request for compat21/compat21.inf from CDROM
  DEBUG: Request for compat21/compat21.tgz from CDROM
  DEBUG: Notify: Extracting compat21 into / directory...
  tmp/junk
  1 block
  DEBUG: distExtract: parent: (none), me: bin
  DEBUG: Request for bin/bin.inf from CDROM
  DEBUG: Parsing attributes file for distribution bin
  DEBUG: Parse config: Invalid character 'P' at line 0
  DEBUG: Finished parsing 0 attributes
  DEBUG: Trying to match attribute `pieces'
  DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.inf from CDROM
  DEBUG: Request for catpages/catpages.tgz from CDROM
  DEBUG: switching back to VTY1

Actually, the "parse config" line appeared on screen as:

 DEBUG: Parse config: Invalid character 'P' at line 0DEBUG: Finished parsing
 0 attributes

It may not mean anything, other than a newline wasn't used after the "0",
causing the linewrap.

As promised, here are the steps I used this time:

1) Boot system with boot.flp, installation CD already in drive. This
   is a Plextor scsi cd connected to a 1542cf.
2) "Kernel Configuration Menu" chose "skip kernel configuration..."
3) Devices probed, aha0 recognized, Plextor recognized
4) "Welcome To FreeBSD" menu. I chose option #9 Upgrade
5) Upgrade procedure listed, "User Confirmation Requested" <yes>
6) Message: "You haven't specified any distributions yet. The
   Upgrade procedure will only upgrade those portions......."
7) Distribution Menu. I chose Custom, choosing everything in
   Custom except for XF86. (bin was definitely chosen here)
8) Message: "ok, first we're going to go to the disk label editor....."
9) file systems MOUNTED. Pressed "Q"
10) "Information Dialog" box, integrity checked, fscking,...
11) Message: "Media type not set! Please select a media type..."
12) CDROM chosen, /etc is saved in /usr/tmp/etc
13) I switch to VTY2 to watch the fun.

Thats about it. This is a noname Intel based 486 DX2/66 with ide
drives, and scsi cd & tape.
One other note, this time /etc maintained the correct permissions
of 755, where last week it was 700 after the upgrade.

Anyway, my main question is, why no bin distribution?

Thanks,

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com

  FreeBSD   2.1.7-R