Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:59:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dial-up Modem Problems

I can't say that I know whether that modem is a
winmodem or not, and I do not have the time to
google it atm, but I can tell you that if you do
end up having to replace it, you should look for
a 'controller based' modem.  Almost all external
modems are controller based, as far as I can
tell.  Unfortunately, it has been my experience
that walking into one of these stores like
Staples or Office Max where they sell modems
locally (these are the only places we have where
I am) and asking to see their coltroller based
modems gets you a blank stare.  So you'll have to
study the box carefully.  Just make sure it says
it has it's own controller somewhere.

That's all the help I can offer.  Hope it helps.
:)

Shannon