Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:19:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation woes

> not the sound] as you'll read below).  my cd is controlled by this
> card, as is the 540MB quantum drive which i used exclusively for swap
> space in linux.  it seems (check the handbook if you have the
> power-pak) that freebsd doesn't handle multifunction cards.
> something that i find very ludicrous, considering it's claim to be the
> ultimate internet OS.  anyway, i finally got around this by accident.

	Um.. you do realize that you're not supposed to run hard drives on
that card? Those cards were built back when it $100+ for the card, and
SCSI cards cost $200+ It's a "all in one device,' much like the
motherboards with built in video/sound/network. Also... Sound Cards are
not meant for Internet back bone use. Why does a server need sound?

> so my answer is, if you have access to the internet, all you need to
> do is make the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp (DONT USE THE 5.0-CURRENT
> FLOPPY IMAGES.  it seems that the sites don't support the installation
> of those images.)  go through the motions of setting up your slices

	That is good advice.. 5.0 is meant for developers.. not the common
user.

> and the filesystems mounted to them.  once that it done, select your
> ports and/or sources and start the downloads.  i have a 10Mbit/sec
> cable modem.  and i found that ftp2 for the us is the fastest.  none

	Most likely this is because the links between you and FTP2 are the
quickest. Remeber when getting on the Internet you have to deal with
bandwidth issues on both sides! Just because you have a fast link dosen't
mean much if the other end is serving 1000+ users trying to do the exact
same thing as you!

> of the others would take advantage of my high download speed.
> although, i did have repeated errors with that site when i tried to
> reinstall XFREE86.  that software may simply not have been available
> at the time i tried.

	Did you check www.xfree86.org for a list of compatible cards, and
possible configuration files?

> i have not run freebsd since i installed it (because of XFREE86 not
> working after i installed version-4.0 after already having
> version-3.3.36.  that's why i tried to reinstall XFREE86)  i went out
> and brought Windows NT; because i realize that any operating system
> that doesn't even come with it's own boot floppies in the packaging,
> thereby requiring you to have another operating system to make copies
> of it's boot floppies, doesn't have the right to be treated as
> anything other than an application of the system you used to make the

	This is the 2nd most small minded thing I've ever read in my
life. Floppies are not included with the FreeBSD cdrom, because that would
cost you the consumer more money. Floppies also have a very high chance of
going bad during shipping. I can't even begin to tell you how many copies
of Windows that I've had to create new boot floppies for.

> the floppies!  i am impressed with the fact that NT will allow me to
> run other OS's concurrently.  let freebsd do that, and then those
> folks can talk about superiority.  they can't even make their own
> floppies!  if you know how to boot freebsd inside of NT, i would
> appreciate hearing from you.  also i need to know how to read the data
> on my freebsd slice(s) from windows NT.

	You're looking for VMware... it runs anything on anything... In
fact NT will run better on FreeBSD then NT by itself from what I've
seen. It's obvious that you've a skewed outlook on how the computer
industry is... especially the Unix part of it. If you're the kind of
person who needs your hand held through day to day operations, then NT is
a good system for you. But if you wish to increase your skills and become
a more valuable employee, or wish more flexibility in what your Operating
system can do.. then I suggest you start using FreeBSD more.
	BTW... I've been using FreeBSD for three years now...I am willing
to admit that I am just now becoming comfortable enough with it that I'm
looking for a job as a Unix admin.... The nice thing is that all my
FreeBSD skills are transferable to any other Unix system in the
world! While my Windows 3.11 skills... well... lets just say I've
forgotten just about everything I knew about it.... :)

					Rick