Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:28:21 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum trouble

On Tuesday, 12 June 2001 at 16:50:05 +0200, Micke Josefsson wrote:
> After failing at "make world" with sources for 4_2_0_RELEASE trying to upgrade
> my 3.x-STABLE machine vinum seems to have lst its config:
>

> When other disks have been found clean is says:
>
> vinum kernel module not available

Well, that's not exactly a lost config, is it?

> So I kldload vinum.ko :
> link_elf: symbol gd_proc not defined (I got a cvsw_dev(?) also at one time)

Looks like you have a mismatch between your kernel and your modules.
Given the situation you describe, that's not surprising.

> And still get:
>
> cant open dev/vinum/mirror: device not configured
>
> and it later prompts me to run fsck manually.
>
> What's up? Is there any way to rectify things?

Yes.  If you're able to build the module, do so and install it.
Otherwise the simplest thing is probably just to reboot with your 3.x
kernel and repeat your build.

> (If I am going to pull back my backup I will probably skip vinum
> this time)

This has nothing to do with Vinum.  This is a broken upgrade.

> BTW. A normal upgrade (with binaries) does not recognize vinum
> drives, right?  I only saw da1s1e and da2s1e not the mirrored drive
> they actually constitute.

I'm not sure what this question means.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.