Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:35:40 -0700
From:      "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sockets and SYSTEM V message queue

> From: Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
> Date: 1999-05-10 12:13:30 -0700
> To: "Justin C. Walker" <justin@apple.com>
> Subject: Re: Sockets and SYSTEM V message queue
> Cc: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> > If your app is always going to run on a single system, there are
> > better ways to implement it.  Local-domain sockets is one; pipes is
> > another (which may or may not be implemented with local-domain
> > sockets).  SysV message queues could be used as well.  Don't know
> > enough about their limitations to know whether it's a good choice,
> > though.
> >

> Thanks for the reply.  I read some source code.  In it, a server
process
> create a single socket to accept packets from both local client
processes
> and remote clients processes. This should be bad for performance. Am I
> right?  According to your suggestion, it may be better to create one
> local-domain socket (I will figure how to use it later) for local
clients
> and another socket for the remote clients.
   This is a function of performance and the headache of having
separate setup for the local and remote cases.  It's the developer's
call.  Once the connection is set up, though, the code that uses the
socket shouldn't care (much) about what kind of socket it is.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *