Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 22:34:24 -0500
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and

>> TL> Agreed.
>>
>> TL> It's also a fact that most handgun echanges take place at close
>> TL> range, without anyone getting hit for an insanely large number
>> TL> of rounds fired.  That's isn't very exciting to watch in a
>> TL> theater, either, since you are really waiting for Mel Gibson
>> TL> to shoot the thugs in a subplot, and then get back onto the
>> TL> main story line...
>>
>> I cannot remember when a movie ever well represented real life.
>> And I hope they never do, that would be boring.
>>

MO> Whilst it's true that the movies and TV do portray, to outsiders at
MO> least, America as a country full of gun-toting loonies most of us can
MO> separate Hollywood fantasy from fact.

MO> Obviously the Dirty Harry films, for instance, are just pure
MO> Hollywood, however I always felt that Hill Street Blues (one of the 3
MO> best TV series to come out of the US, IMHO) was a fairly realistic
MO> view of life in that particular environment (big city suburb). Whilst
MO> there was a lot of gun-play it did show the police behaving in a
MO> sensible, restrained manner in that they always tried to negotiate a
MO> peaceful end to an armed siege situation for example, albeit mixed with
MO> a bit of "artistic licence" such as Belker wanting to bite everyone he
MO> arrested and Hunter wanting to go in guns a-blazing at every
MO> opportunity.

MO> Was it really realistic? Comments from US citizens would be
MO> interesting.

MO> BTW, am I correct in thinking that it was filmed around Chicago?

>> Isn't always fun to see how some white guy can simultaneously take on
>> couple Ninjas?

Well, I guess they have come a long way with respect to TV series.
The likes of 'E.R.' have changed the way people expect more reality on
TV.  I just find that movies are so far off from reality, which is
good in most cases in my book, that they are almost comical.

Of course, I find realism in 'Seinfeld', whatever that says for me!

--
Best regards,
Neill