Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:48:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: repeat: pci problem w/ de0 NIC

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Gene Harris wrote:

> >  -using 2.2.8-Release (the latest thing I have on CD)

> This does not answer your question.  You will get a lot more
> hardware support, better routing, better security and better
> administration with a 3.x release.  Why build a new system
> with such an old release?

No it doesn't answer my question. Someone suggested that I look at vr
instead of de ... anyone have a link suggestion for research?  It doesn't
make much sense for me to go through the irritation of rebuilding the
machine if there is no solution to my problem.

Also, I object to the predominant attitude that 2.2.8 is old.  Look at the
time-stamps.  Yeah I know alot has changed in FreeBSD since, but the
calendar says the FreeBSD crew has been extremely productive. :)

<excuses follow>
reason - as I said, it's the latest thing I have burned on CD.
reason - I already had the boot floppy (note singular) made
reason - habit, I just had the service installed and I'm not used to
having this kind of bandwidth. Doh. Didn't consider a network install.

--Steve