Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:32:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-vuxml@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can portaudit report a fixed date/version?

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> > It would save many admins quite a bit of time.
>
> How so?  (serious question)

I don't have time just now to answer the other questions but I can answer
this one.

Portaudit tells me that port xyz is vulnerable.  But there there is no
fix.  How do I know when there is a fix?  Only by checking FreshPorts, cvs
logs, the ports tree, trying to install the port, portupgrade, etc.  I
could do this daily for days without a fix.

Instead, if portaudit reported that port xyz is vulernable and that there
is a fix (if there actually is a fix), then all I need to do is monitor my
daily security email that automagically includes the output of portaudit.
I can then instantly know that it's time to run portupgrade on port xyz.

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/