Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2023 19:10:49 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
Cc:        Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>, Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@shrew.net>,  Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@freebsd.org>, Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  Virtualisation on FreeBSD <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>,  Elena Mihailescu <elenamihailescu22@gmail.com>, Mihai Carabas <mihai.carabas@gmail.com>,  gusev.vitaliy@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: BHYVE_SNAPSHOT

--000000000000fca5b605fa977e0b

"Wow! That's eye popping"

On Sun, Apr 30, 2023, 6:46 PM Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:

> whats the meaning of o_O ?
>
> Il lun 1 mag 2023, 02:04 Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> ha scritto:
>
>> o_O
>>
>> --
>> CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, http://www.tomek.cedro.info

>>> src.conf)
>>>
>>> This began as sponsored student work with the Politehnica University of
>>> Bucharest back in 2016 with an eye toward developing Live MIgration as a
>>> feature. The initial bhyve save/restore patch was committed back in 2020
>>>
>>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS360648
>>>
>>> Student projects related to bhyve continued until last year, but we gave
>>> up due to there being such a massive accumulation of patches with no
>>> path to getting them committed. We tried reaching out to project
>>> maintainers and the FreeBSD foundation alike for support and feedback,
>>> but there seems to be little to no interest. There have also been
>>> attempts by companies that rely on these features to and get them
>>> improved and committed. Unfortunately they don't appear to be having
>>> much luck either ...
>>>
>>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D38858#885651
>>>
>>> Would you like to see support for VM snapshots in the generic kernel?
>>> How about support for saving/restore checkpoints using QCOW2, VMDK via
>>> libvdsk? How about support for warm or live migration? How about USB
>>> device pass-through? There are experimental patches for all these
>>> features that were developed by students at UPB. In a lot of cases,
>>> there are open reviews that have been waiting on feedback for ages. Here
>>> is a a presentation given by Elena from UPB just last month at the
>>> FreeBSD devsumit in Tokyo ...
>>>

>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/DevSummit/202303?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Presentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf
>>>
>>> The case is quite plain. I'm not sure what the solution is to this
>>> problem. I'd love to hear feedback from the community about how I've got
>>> this completely wrong and how the course could be corrected. That would
>>> be something.
>>>
>>> -Matthew

--000000000000fca5b605fa977e0b

ss=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Apr 30, 20=
23, 6:46 PM Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com">ma=
te" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"=
quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">Il lun 1 mag 2023, 02:04 Tomek=
 CEDRO &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomek@cedro.info" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"nor=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding=
ure">--<br>CeDeROM, SQ7MHZ, <a href=3D"http://www.tomek.cedro.info" rel=3D"=
noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.tomek.cedro.info</a></d=
r">On Sun, Apr 30, 2023, 23:42 Matthew Grooms &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mgrooms=
@shrew.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">mgrooms@shrew.n=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">On 4/29/23 06:17,=
 void wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Where can I read up about the recently introduced BHYVE_SNAPSHOT ?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I can only find terse information about what it does (in man 5 src.con=
f)<br>
&gt; but not about how to use it and/or why.<br>
This began as sponsored student work with the Politehnica University of <br=

Bucharest back in 2016 with an eye toward developing Live MIgration as a <b=
r>
feature. The initial bhyve save/restore patch was committed back in 2020 ..=
.<br>
er noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://reviews.freebsd.org/rS3=
60648</a><br>
Student projects related to bhyve continued until last year, but we gave <b=
r>
up due to there being such a massive accumulation of patches with no <br>
path to getting them committed. We tried reaching out to project <br>
maintainers and the FreeBSD foundation alike for support and feedback, <br>
but there seems to be little to no interest. There have also been <br>
attempts by companies that rely on these features to and get them <br>
improved and committed. Unfortunately they don&#39;t appear to be having <b=
r>
much luck either ...<br>
eferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://reviews.freebsd.or=
g/D38858#885651</a><br>
Would you like to see support for VM snapshots in the generic kernel? <br>
How about support for saving/restore checkpoints using QCOW2, VMDK via <br>
libvdsk? How about support for warm or live migration? How about USB <br>
device pass-through? There are experimental patches for all these <br>
features that were developed by students at UPB. In a lot of cases, <br>
there are open reviews that have been waiting on feedback for ages. Here <b=
r>
is a a presentation given by Elena from UPB just last month at the <br>
FreeBSD devsumit in Tokyo ...<br>
p;do=3Dview&amp;target=3DPresentation+-+bhyvecon.pdf" rel=3D"noreferrer nor=
eferrer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/D=
evSummit/202303?action=3DAttachFile&amp;do=3Dview&amp;target=3DPresentation=
+-+bhyvecon.pdf</a><br>
The case is quite plain. I&#39;m not sure what the solution is to this <br>
problem. I&#39;d love to hear feedback from the community about how I&#39;v=
e got <br>
this completely wrong and how the course could be corrected. That would <br=

be something.<br>
-Matthew<br>

--000000000000fca5b605fa977e0b--