Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 21:37:25 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Fatbob <fatbob@charon.gothic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI NICs that use the DEC Tulip driver?

Fatbob writes:
> My question is ... can someone recommend PCI 10/100 NICs that use the DEC
> Tulip driver (the 'de' interface), are still available, and will work with
> the 21040 driver under FreeBSD-2.1.0? I'm not picky as to model (SMC,
> Linksys, DEC, etc.) - I just need to find one that works.

Lots of NIC's are based on the DEC Tulip.

The 2104x series is 10m bps, 2114x is the 10/100. The 40's were
variations on additional control and autosensing the port/speed.

Z`nyx is a manufacturer of good Tulip based ethernet cards.

Somewhere along the time frame of FreeBSD 2.0.5 and 2.2.0 the de driver
failed on my 1st generation 21040 Z`nyx card. Got fed up with it
eventually and bought an NE2000 ISA clone that is still running in the
same box today. Gave the 21040 away. Bought Intel NIC's ever since
because that is what David Goodman uses.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net