Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:39:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Bacon <crtb@helix.nih.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tape question

Running a new 2.2.2-R system, fresh from the CD-ROM.
I bought a SCSI TR-4 tape drive (at triple the price) to replace a very
nice ISA TR-3 unit (not supported because only SCSI tapes are
supported[1]).

Works well except for one peculiarity.  The command:  dump 0uf ....
fails when the tape reaches the end of its first pass.  That is, the
tape is prepared to turn around and continue writing on the next track,
but dump calls out for me to insert the next tape.  However, by adding
the 'a' option:  dump 0auf ....  everything's fine.  Well, OK, but why
should dump be interested in the individual tracks of a tape?

The problem arises with another system running 2.1.0-R.  I want to
backup over the ethernet onto the 2.2.2 system.  However, Its dump
doesn't have an 'a' option, and sure enough, can't dump more than
one pass' worth before asking for a new tape.  Of course, I tried
copying the dump from 2.2.2, but it won't compile (forgot why).

Perhaps I don't understand the uses of discrete tracks on a tape.
Maybe dump can get to something far down the dump file by just
stepping the head a bit [2].

Thanks a heap (mebbe a stack?) to all who respond to questions like
mine!  I've learned a lot this way :-)

	Chuck Bacon - crtb@capecod.net or crtb@helix.nih.gov

[1] I'll really feel silly if someone points out that tapes on the
ISA bus, with and without accelerator cards, are supported.
[2] I'd REALLY like to know how to take advantage of this, because I've
listened and waited for a file I knew was way down the tape.