Date:      Sun, 10 May 2015 09:26:21 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Skibo <thomasskibo@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Heads-up regarding arm/armv6 snapshot builds

On Sat, 2015-05-09 at 13:55 -0700, Thomas Skibo wrote:
> > On May 9, 2015, at 12:43 PM, Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> > An important note for people using the Zedboard:
> > A port of u-boot for this board does not currently exist in the Ports
> > Collection, and as a result, support for building the ZEDBOARD image =
has
> > been dropped.  If someone is already working on a port of this u-boot=
,
> > please let me know.  Otherwise, I will work on the port as soon as
> > possible.
>=20
> Hi, Glen.
>=20
> I have been supporting Zedboard in crochet.  Crochet builds u-boot for =
the Zedboard by lightly patching u-boot source from Xilinx (https://githu=
b.com/Xilinx/u-boot-xlnx).  I have one more patch to send Tim so that cro=
chet always builds u-boot from release v2014.4 because the latest release=
 (v2015.1) broke some things which will require other tweaks to crochet.
>=20
> But, I wonder if there is sufficient interest in FreeBSD on the Zedboar=
d to warrant you going to the trouble to build snap-shots.
>=20
> >=20
> > Thanks.
> >=20
> > Glen
> > Hat:	RE
> >=20
>=20
> =97Thomas
>=20

We should just turn your u-boot changes into a port.  (Hmm, wasn't there
a licensing question on one of the files it needs, though?)

Once a u-boot port exists, there should be minimal "trouble" in creating
an image for it.  We are very close to having an armv6[hf] world which
doesn't need UBLDR_LOADADDR set, which means a single world can be used
to poplulate all the various images.  The only thing that will differ
per-image is the kernel (and related dtb files) to install, and which
u-boot package to install.  So there will be a little bit of config for
Glen to set up for each supported board, but each added board won't
require its own complete buildworld.

-- Ian