Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2007 14:31:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/116132: Python 2.4 -> 2.5 upgrade leaves meta-package at 2.4.

>Number:         116132
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Python 2.4 -> 2.5 upgrade leaves meta-package at 2.4.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD kanga.digitaltorque.ca 5.5-STABLE FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE #0: Fri Mar 23 18:01:20 EDT 2007 root@kanga.digitaltorque.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

	AMD Duron, PCI-based PC
	I upgraded Python 2.4 -> 2.5 following this command in UPDATING.
    portupgrade -o lang/python25 lang/python24

    Unfortunately, this leaves the python metapackage at python 2.4, so when I
    then run portupgrade -a, it wants to upgrade again, rebuilding python 2.5
    yet again.

    [msoulier@kanga ~]$ pkg_info | grep python
    mod_python-3.3.1    Apache module that embeds the Python interpreter
    within the
    python-2.4.4,1      The "meta-port" for the stable version of Python
    interprete
    python25-2.5.1      An interpreted object-oriented programming language

    Should not a python upgrade procedure include a process to pull the meta
    package forward?
>How-To-Repeat:
	Install python 2.4 from older ports snapshot when 2.4 was current,
    installing via the python metapackage. Then update to the latest ports
    snapshot and upgrade python using the instructions in UPDATING.
>Fix:
    Upgrade the python metapackage, rebuilding python 2.5 yet again.