Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 10:03:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        Travis Leuthauser <travis@winconx.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound blaster and snd0

Brennan W Stehling wrote:

> Kent, thanks for being so helpful.
>
> I tried using that page before but I always got messed up with the isa
> stuff and remebering stripping that stuff of the pcm line to get it to
> work.  I did not have to modify the kernel.conf file to get the sound to
> work.  Maybe I should try configuring devices on boot up with the visual
> interface and see what that says.

There was a number of emails on doing ES1371, which is what I have on
my first machine. The Sound Blaster is on the second machine. The
second machine started up as a 3.4 but that fouled up my HD and 4.0
was the only installation that worked.

For the PNP's on 3.4, you used the device but none of the other
parameters. I think you also needed "device pnp" even though that is
for ISA. The problem is the pcm0 for ISA and pcm1 for pci. You had to
link the right one with the device that you made, i.e., the pcm0
needed a "MAKEDEV snd0" and pcm1 needed a "MAKEDEV snd1". The config
files for 3.4 are gone now.

This area of FreeBSD got SO much simpler on 4.0.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html