Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 07:40:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!uriah.heep.sax.de!joerg_wunsch, ponds!whistle.com!julian
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers, ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers
Subject:   Re: Copious information on panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc - IDEAS???

> Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> J Wunsch wrote:
> >
> > As Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >
> > >  You're saying the code in newfs.c that sets NTRACKS to 1 and
> > > NSECTORS to 4096 would be changed.
> >
> > Yes, to e.g. 2 * 2048 instead.  It's a mileage number only anyway,
> > since Poul found out (experimentally) that it just works better than
> > any (un)real number on today's zone-bit recorded and large cache
> > disks.
> >
> > >  If this is so, doesn't that mean that everyone is using a file system
> > > that is questionable.  Aren't inode reads/writes going to the wrong
> > > places (albeit consistently?)
> >
> > I'm no filesystem expert at all, but this seems to be the case.  The
> > failure picture matches consistently with the reported MFS troubles
> > (including mine), and it's probably also responsible for some other
> > panic PRs you could find in the GNATS database.
> >
> > --
> >
> Kirk suggested setting the number of heads to 1 to
> turn off the "selelct a nearby head" code..
>
> if you make it have 2 heads, this code will be enabled
> again and we'll lose the effect..
> it pessimise the accesses by switching to a differnt head that it
> thinks has a nearby free block.. in the case of 2 heads (as suggested)
> this is actually likely to be "NOT NEARBY" and we will lose
>
> you could HEAR the difference when we went to 1 head..

 Hmmm... well, that's certainly not the best news.  But I would
assert that the file system isn't working properly without this problem
corrected.

 An alternative I was considering was to set the file system's fs_cgmask
to 0 if the number of tracks is 1.  (Instead of it's current,
problematic 0xffffffff).   But, it's just a guess from my point of
view; I'm no filesystem expert.

 I'll try that out and report back.

 If that works, then we can return to having NTRACKS be 1.

	- Dave Rivers -