Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:50:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: request for review of exports.5 update

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Rick Macklem wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've added a few sentences to the exports.5 man page in an effort
>> to try and clarify how NFSv4 exports work.
>>
>> If anyone would like to comment on these changes, it would be
>> appreciated. Ideally, you are familiar with the FreeBSD /etc/exports
>> file, but not w.r.t. NFSv4.
>
>> +.Xr mountd 8
>> +daemon and not the kernel.
>> +As such, it only applies to NFSv2, NFSv3 mounts and only w.r.t. the
>
> The comma between v2 and v3 is not really right and should be replaced by
> "and"; the mdoc gurus seem to want to put the trailing "the" on the next
> line in a case like this.

Also, there is a rule against contractions (e.g., "it's"), so there
is presumably a rule against nonstandard abbreviations (e.g., "w.r.t.").
Currently, "w.r.t" is only used once, in 1 man page, and was presumably
written there by Rick :-) (mount_nfs.8 and the link to it).  This use
shows an apparent syntactical complication related to "the" in the
above -- it also has "the" on the same line, but for some reason it
has "\&" after "w.r.t.".

The briefer and even more informal abbreviation "wrt" is not used in any
man page.

But "with respect to" is used 2445 times (but many are duplicates due
to links).

BTW, does anyone know a good way of not seeing duplicates in commands
like "zgrep -r wrt /usr/share/man"?  find(1) doesn't seem to have any
flag to suppress duplicates.  du(1) has to know how to not count
duplicates internally.  I think it as special code for this and there
is no special support for this in fts(3).  Recently I have been annoyed
by duplicates under .svn.  I want to type a simple grep -r or
"find . | xargs grep" without any complicated pattern for the file names
and not see multiple copies.

Bruce