Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 22:40:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      lrkn@anet-dfw.com
To:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu (David E. Cross)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot banner (securing FreeBSD)

> On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:
>
> > Remove the floppy drive? - and secure the case (with a padlock)?...
>
> I am not looking for that level of security; I am mostly just curious.
> By the same token, I am hoping that there would be some way of preventing
> a person from circumventing FreeBSDs security than just walking up to a
> machine with 2 disks.  Sun, with their NVRAM password accomplishes this;
> you need to actually open the case (which can also be easily secured), and
> without loosing functionality.  The equivalent solution that I can see is
> to remove the floppy drive, and that looses the functionality of the
> floppy drive from within the program.

At least take the keyboard when you leave. Most machines will boot
without it if you disable the test in the bios.

| 73,            E-mail       | lrkn@anet-dfw.com                       |
| Lyn Kennedy    webpage      | http://webusers.anet-dfw.com/~lrkn/     |
| K5QWB          pony express = P.O. Box 5133, Ovilla, TX, USA 75154    |
---Livin' on an information dirt road a few miles off the superhighway---