Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 1997 12:07:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        tschutj@xmission.com (Tyler Schutjer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Still require help

Tyler Schutjer writes:
> If this isn't a place for tech support questions (where you get
> answered!), can you direct me to one?
> I have the Walnut Creek CD (v2.1.6), and have been trying to install
> this thing for about a month now, with no luck. The following is a
> summary of what I've gone through; if I can get any one of these
> resolved so that I can put this frigging OS on my PC, I'd be eternally
> grateful:

Well, I'll try :-)

> - I attempt to install from the CD in a DOS shell from Windows, and get
> a "can't allocate   enough memory" error. And this is with 32MB of RAM.

Yup.  Isn't Windows a piece of &*(&(*?

> - I attempt to install from the CD in DOS mode, and get a "can't switch
> to protected mode"   error.

Yup.  Isn't DOS a piece of (&*(%^?

> - I attempt to install from a boot floppy I downloaded, and then get to
> the part where it   asks where I want to install from, and I indicate
> from a CD, and I get an error message   saying that FreeBSD cannot find
> my CD-ROM. It's listed in Compeq's diagnostics utility as   follows:
>   Embedded IDE controller, base address 0x170
>   8X CD-ROM, Drive Position 1
>   MatshitaCD-ROM CR-583

I don't know if this is supported or not.  Can anybody else comment?
Your assumption could be correct, though.

> - I conclude from reading the documentation that my CD is of an
> unsupported type, so I take    CD 1, and xcopy all of the files on it to
> C:\FREEBSD, thinking that I'll install from DOS.   So, I go through the
> boot floppy bit again, but tell it that I want to install from a DOS
> partition, and it did it's thing, but gave me numerous error messages
> that I didn't quite    get.

You need to get those error messages.  I can't guess them.

> As it stands now, I take it that it needs to
> copy/create the filesystems, moving the    data from my DOS/Windows
> partition to the BSD partition, but for some reason can't. Here is   the
> DiskLabel Editor's report of my hard disk:
>
> disk wd0          partition wd0s2               free: 0 blocks (0 MB)
>
> Part        Mount        Size        Newfs        Part
> Mount        Size        Newfs
> wd0s1       <none>       1890MB      DOS
> wd0s2a      <none>         32MB      *
> wd0s2b      <none>         42MB      SWAP
> wd0s2e      <none>         30MB      *
> wd0s2f      <none>        443MB      *
>
> What on earth do I need to do now?

Basically, follow the installation instructions.

> I had pressed "A" to get the default values, but apparently that
> wasn't good enough...

Why not?  So far, so good.  Of course, now that you have interrupted
the installation process, the installation process has forgotten the
mount points.  You need to either tell the install process where to
mount the drives (wd0s2a on /, wd0s2e on /var, and wd0s2f on /usr), or
just repartition wd0s2.

> Fer crying out loud, can anybody help???

Sure, if you tell me what goes wrong after this point.

Greg