Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 02:13:15 -0400
From:      itsymbal@husc.harvard.edu (Sir Ilya Tsymbal)
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD & ATI Mach64 install problem (follow-up)

I have been having a problem installing FreeBSD with Mach64 card.
During the start-up phase when hardware is probed, the screen either goes
blank or (depending on the monitor) shows lines.

A different cideo card (Diamond SpeedStar) works fine.

I have found that if I start with -c flag during boot and disable ALL com
ports - sio0-3 then the card behaves appropriately. I do need to use a
mouse ( at least) and preferably a modem.
The ATI install disk claims the card is using Base I/O address 0x2ECh;
however, with all com ports disabled it works fine if sc0 is set to either
0x2ec (card's setting) or 0x60.
I have found no sure way to tell which IRQ the card is using; it seems to
work fine with sc0's irq set to 1.

If I leave any one com port enabled, the card will mess up. Wether or not
the particular com port is actually present does not seem to make a
difference.

That's all the information I have; I would appreciate any input.

Thank you,

Ilya Tsymbal