Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 15:10:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Bell <brianb@strategywon.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrequent but nasty problem

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Brian Bell wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> > My 3.1 FreeBSD system has run well for some time but this morning I sat
> > down to my machine and it had crashed during the night.  I saw that it had
> > run fsck fine. I logged in and got xwindows running with no problems
> > until I tried to run one of the programs that the machine was running at
> > the crash (rc5 proj).  Instant crash of the whole system.
>
> Can you give more details on these crashes?  Do you get ay error messages?
> Does it happen to non-X applications?
>
> > error of the pager.  So I am now booting kernel.old and running fcsk
> > to find out what is crapping things out.  It keeps just saying disk
> > dirty rerun fsck.  I have done that now 6 times.  What do I need to do
> > to start stabilizing my system?  I am afraid to start anything do to
> > it might just hose my system and that would hurt:) Let me know what
> > more details you want. thnxs
>
> Sounds like you've thrown a disk.
>
> To do a proper fsck
>
> 1.  During boot hit a key to the the prompt, then type
>
> boot -s
>
> 2.  Hit return when prompted.
> 3.  Run
>
> fsck -y -a
>
> Keep running this until you get no errors.  Then reboot by typing 'reboot'
> and you should be back up.  If it keeps getting errors, you may need to
> replace your disk.
>
> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org

Hi again,
Doug thanks for the help. It cleaned up my hard drive but problems still
loom.  When i boot the kernel I get

Fatal Trap Error 12
A big paragraph of info.  Like 0x30 and Supervisor write page, not
present.

I can boot into the kernel.old and seems to be okay since i was able to
run fsck.  (which does not have a -a switch) I have not tried xwindows yet
for fear that i will hose my last good kernel.  How should I now proceed ?

From the desk of
Brian Bell
Contact me at brianb@strategywon.com
or (602) 231-0918