Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 15:57:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Willow <willow@tds.edu>
Cc:        Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Consolidate or isolate?

We run separate servers here...

1 Server = DNS/NIS (used to run Radius also until we got out of Dialup
services)
1 Server = Mail/Secondary DNS
1 Server = WWW
1 Server = Shell accounts

Works quite well and separates the load nicely.  Plus, we don't have to
make each of the machines extremely powerful.  Most of our machines are
still running the older Cyrix 6x86's, non MMX and we show no load on the
servers.

The big thing is that there is no one single point of failure with the
multiple server idea.  If mail goes down, you still have all the other
services.  Although, if you can't afford that much hardware, the one box
for everything is a good start.  We started out with 2 servers and then
expanded little by little.  We now have over 10 servers running for our
services and a couple co-locates, and the multiple server idea has worked
extremely well.

-Gary Margiotta				Voice:	(973) 835-9696
TBE Internet Services			Fax:	(973) 835-2133
http://www.tbe.net			E-Mail:	gary@tbe.net