Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:16:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Reilly <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970903.tgz and pnp970903.tgz

Hi Luigi,

Sorry to be a bother, but I think you probably know more about this
than most by now.

On  3 Sep, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>     * fixed SB16 PnP operation, now works in 8 and 16bit, both
>       capture and playback;
>
> not recognised/not working (although the SB16 driver still needs
> refinements in order to support full duplex operation).

I haven't bought a sound card yet because I want to be sure that I can
do full-duplex, full bandwidth (48kHz preferably, 44.1kHz is OK) signal
processing.  All I've heard about the SB16 (and by extension the SB32,
AWE32, and AWE64) says that the closest it comes to full-duplex is 16
bits out/8 bits in.  Is that the case?

Are there any inexpensive sound cards with good AD/DA quality that can
do full duplex 16-bit?

In any case, do you have an idea of the minimum latency you could get
with a program that just did un-buffered reads and writes to the audio
device?  Are we talking about <= 20ms?

(I'm a DSP guy, and I would very much like to be able to prototype
algorithms on my workstation, before I have to cut them into DSP code.)

--
Andrew

"The steady state of disks is full."
				-- Ken Thompson